Man threatened to slit girlfriend’s throat after she talked to a man in the club

A man has been jailed after threatening to slit his girlfriend’s throat and attacking her friend with a metal pole after he became jealous of her speaking to a man on a night out.

Christopher Stafford-Tribble, from Newquay, Cornwall, dragged his girlfriend across the ground as she tried to escape the attack in the early hours of January 25. The victim told Leeds Crown Court that she feared she would die during the attack and that Stafford-Tribble had ‘destroyed’ her life ‘completely’ during the time they had been together.

Stafford-Tribble, his girlfriend and her two friends had travelled to Leeds for a night out in the city centre the day before. During the evening, Stafford-Tribble became angry after he saw his girlfriend talking to another man in the club.

He confronted the man and was thrown out by doormen. But after he persisted to get back inside the premises, police were called and officers took him back to the property where they were renting in Morley, West Yorkshire.

Stafford-Tribble then left his girlfriend 48 missed calls and broke into the property. He also managed to access her Facebook account and changed her password, the court heard.

The woman and the two friends returned to the house at 4.30am and found the door handle had been snapped.

But there was no sign of Stafford-Tribble until he turned up outside the property at 7am and began shouting abuse.

They barricaded the door with a sofa to prevent him from getting in but he threatened to kill his girlfriend and the two friends before throwing a brick through the window.

Keith Allen, prosecuting, told the court they contacted police pleading for help.

Stafford-Tribble’s girlfriend then left the house and tried to run to a taxi but he grabbed her in a bear hug and attempted to bite her.

He threatened to slit her throat and dragged her along the ground.

The two friends suffered injuries as they tried to intervene, and Stafford-Tribble struck the male friend across the head with a metal pole.

Police arrived at the scene and arrested Stafford-Tribble and the other man, who was later released from custody without charge.

The woman described in a victim statement to the court how she feared she would die during the incident.

She said she had been in a relationship with Stafford-Tribble for six months and that his behaviour had been controlling during that time.

The victim said: ‘Christopher’s actions have destroyed my life completely in every respect.’

Charlotte Rimmer, mitigating, said Stafford-Tribble had suffered the most serious injuries during the incident and had to be taken to hospital on a spinal board after the disturbance and received a large gash to his head.

She said the defendant had been in prison since the incident and had lost his home and job as a result.

He pleaded guilty to affray, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, two counts of common assault and criminal damage.

Stafford-Tribble was given an 18-month sentence.